The world of app development has gained a lot of traction in recent years. A staggering 91% of enterprises have built and deployed mobile apps, and 82% of the worldwide workload will migrate to the cloud. In this competitive environment, making the right choices when it comes to developing your applications is highly important.
As web and cloud apps are fighting in the race of popularity, we've crafted this article to outline some of the benefits and differences of web and cloud apps so that you can gain a clearer perspective on the matter. And reach the right decision.
Key benefits of web apps
Web apps, which use web browsers and technology to manage tasks over the internet, have several benefits, such as:
- Accessibility. You can reach web-based apps from anywhere, at any time, through any web browser.
- Flexibility. If your browser is compatible, you can quickly and conveniently access web apps.
- Little maintenance needed. Compared to cloud apps, web apps require less support from the developer's end, thus reducing maintenance costs.
- Lower computer requirements. This is very convenient for end-users as it provides greater usability at a lower expense.
- Enhanced security. Since client information is not stored on web apps, the risk of threats is reduced for subscription-based web applications.
- Compatibility. Web apps are cross-platform compatible and can function on multiple platforms, operating systems, or devices.
- Easy update. There's no need to reinstall the software on multiple devices when using web apps. They can be updated and managed without any further process in place.
- No storage limitations. As web apps can be used without any download or installation, hard drive space limitations are not an issue.
What are the advantages of cloud-based apps?
Today, many businesses are already leveraging the power of cloud apps, which offer them the opportunity to work conveniently through on-demand services. Among the essential advantages provided by cloud apps are:
- Broad computing capabilities. Cloud apps offer a wide range of computing services, both offline and online.
- Minimal management effort. Applications that are based in the cloud require little to no management effort or service provider interaction.
- High customization features. When using cloud software, users and businesses are able to customize on-demand services for their own needs and demands. Having access to their information from any place and device creates location independence that is much appreciated in today's highly dynamic digital environment.
- Enhanced performance. Cloud-based apps are known for delivering high-quality services and supporting enterprises in their quest to streamline their work processes.
- Scalability. Cloud systems support businesses in scaling rapidly outward when it comes to storage, memory, or processing.
- Higher transparency. Users can monitor, report, and control resources much easier and in a more transparent way.
How do web and cloud apps differentiate?
- From a structural point of view, web and cloud apps are entirely different. Cloud apps' functionality is not dependable on web browsers, and they can be accessed from anywhere without the need for a web interface.
- Unlike cloud apps, web apps are not multi-tenant and don't support the diverse demands of different users.
- Compared to web apps, cloud apps provide a more comprehensive range of customization features.
- Cloud apps rely on a complex backend to guarantee uptime, security, and system integration. Cloud-based systems also support multiple access methods and scalability and require data mirroring and data synchronization. Web apps are more limited as they are stored on a remote server and distributed online through a browser interface.
- Cloud apps provide higher security levels by providing users security enhancements that can be added to cloud environments. Web apps have a different security approach, deriving and verifying user information from an enterprise's data servers.
The future of app development seems to include a multi-dimensional experience. While web-based apps are still helping businesses improve the user experience and convert prospects into sales, the era of cloud computing is here to stay as well.
Digital users require affordable, responsive, and agile apps that meet their complex needs. This is something essential to keep in mind when choosing the way you want to tackle app development.
If you're still deciding between web and cloud-based apps, Optasy is a reliable advisor that can guide you on your development journey. Contact us and let's start making the right choices.
Photo credit: viarami on Pixabay.
We do Web development
Go to our Web development page!